Sunday 23 April 2017

The Second Sunday of Easter ---- 23 April 2017


John 20:19-31
19 When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." 20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21 Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you." 22 When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained." 24 But Thomas (who was called the Twin), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe." 26 A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." 27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe." 28 Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" 29 Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe." 30 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. 31 But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.

"Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe."
·       When we get to this Sunday after Easter, we always hear this passage about Thomas. I think Thomas gets the short end of the stick all the time. He gets called “Doubting Thomas”, which is true in the start of the story, but he ends as a believer. And not just a believer in the Resurrection but in all that it means. He doesn’t just say “Jesus! It’s you!”; he says “My Lord and my God!”
·       First, Thomas reacts to the news of the Resurrection exactly as the rest of the disciples did. We heard on Easter Sunday how the disciples did not believe Mary Magdalene’s news. Now they believe when they encounter Jesus. When the news comes to any of them, Mary included, confusion reigns. It is only when they encounter Jesus that things become clearer.
·       What strikes us is the conditions set by Thomas: "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe."
·       Thomas appears to be setting terms. He won’t believe unless he gets to experience the Risen Christ in a very particular manner.
·       What we would call “doubt” in Thomas is not that unusual. We want to know; we want to be sure. We want to have faith and we want to have it our own way.
·       Do you ever wonder if we set conditions for faith… much like Thomas did?
·       Do we say “I’ll believe when the time is right.” Or “I’ll believe if you do this for me, God.”? Do we set conditions like “… as long as it doesn’t take too much of my time.” Or “… if I can be known as a good, upstanding person.”?
·       There have been people who follow Jesus only because it makes a good show, or because it makes them appear to their neighbors as a person of high moral standards and integrity. There have also been those who make a show of following Jesus in order to get ahead; history abounds with such stories.
·       When we look at the narration of people coming to believe in the Resurrection, there is a common thread, one beyond the presence of Jesus that is built on his presence.
·       Mary encountered the Risen Christ and believed. She told the others and when they had encountered the Risen Jesus, they believed. So did Thomas, despite his pre-conditions… which Jesus was ready to fulfill, by the way: "Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe."
·       Didn’t we all encounter Jesus in a similar way? Weren’t we somehow invited to “Come and see.” I’ve never met him face to face (that I know of, anyway), but I have encountered him – in his Word, in his Supper, in his forgiveness, in his disciples... in you! That’s every bit as real as putting my hand in his side and my finger in the nail marks. Who knows? Maybe that’s how we know him when we meet him.
·       So what pre-conditions has Jesus set for us? What requirements has he laid out for faith? What will the saving grace of the Cross cost us?
·       The answer is as it always has been – nothing. Grace costs us nothing. If it were not free, it would not be grace. If it were deserved, it would not be free.
·       There are two very hopeful parts to this Gospel passage. First, Thomas doubts and he believes. We all doubt and we believe, limping and sore as our faith might be. We believe and we believe we will encounter Jesus, just as we are and just where we are.
·       Second, what does Jesus tell Thomas? "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe."

·       Those words were written for us and about us and to us. Just as faith is possible for us, so is a meeting with the Risen Christ which will leave us amazed and without words, except for “My Lord and my God!”

No comments:

Post a Comment