Sunday 28 April 2019

The Second Sunday of Easter ---- 24 April 2019



John 20:19-31
19 When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." 20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21 Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you." 22 When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained." 24 But Thomas (who was called the Twin ), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe." 26 A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." 27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe." 28 Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" 29 Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe." 30 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. 31 But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.
[Because of an unfortunate post-Easter illness, I had just about lost my voice, but that wasn't the only reason for a 'dialog' -type sermon.]
"Peace be with you."
·       I really only have two points to touch on this morning, then I might just open things up for anyone else to say something.
·       With these words, Jesus greeted his friends in the room where they had all but barricaded themselves on the evening of that first Easter.
·       With these words, Jesus again greeted them all on the next Sunday and this time, Thomas was included. We all know the story. In truth, it’s our story as well.
·       Thomas shows us that the earliest church struggled with the Resurrection, what it was, and what it means. Thomas wants proof and says he won’t believe Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side… Well, I’d like to have that sort of proof as well!
·       I won’t get it unless something REALLY special happens. That’s okay. I have this story, which is my story and your story.
·       We hear this story every year because it is meant for us. None of us have put our fingers in the nail marks or our hand into the spear wound. Neither did John’s readers. His was the last Gospel written and it was done possibly 100 years after the Resurrection.
·       John wanted to let his readers know that they are not second class Christians for not having seen. They were permitted to believe without seeing and without the verbal testimony of eye-witnesses. Those people would have a blessing of their own. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe.
·       And so it is with us. But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.
·       As my second point, we can look at what Jesus says when he enters the locked and barricaded room. Jesus says “Peace be with you.” It isn’t a wish or a polite greeting, but a blessing. Important things in the Gospels are always revealed after the peace is conferred. The Synoptic Gospels – Matthew, Mark, and Luke – say “Don’t be afraid!” Look at the greetings of the angel to Mary or to the shepherds in the story of the Nativity. Here John says “Peace be with you.” Something special is about to be revealed. In this case, the Spirit is breathed on the disciples and they are commissioned to declare the forgiveness of sins.
·       Now how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment