Sunday 19 January 2020

The Second Sunday after Epiphany ---- 19 January 2020



John 1:29-42
29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him and declared, "Here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is he of whom I said, "After me comes a man who ranks ahead of me because he was before me.' 31 I myself did not know him; but I came baptizing with water for this reason, that he might be revealed to Israel." 32 And John testified, "I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. 33 I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water said to me, "He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.' 34 And I myself have seen and have testified that this is the Son of God." 35 The next day John again was standing with two of his disciples, 36 and as he watched Jesus walk by, he exclaimed, "Look, here is the Lamb of God!" 37 The two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus. 38 When Jesus turned and saw them following, he said to them, "What are you looking for?" They said to him, "Rabbi" (which translated means Teacher), "where are you staying?" 39 He said to them, "Come and see." They came and saw where he was staying, and they remained with him that day. It was about four o'clock in the afternoon. 40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed him was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He first found his brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which is translated Anointed ). 42 He brought Simon to Jesus, who looked at him and said, "You are Simon son of John. You are to be called Cephas" (which is translated Peter ).

They said to him, "Rabbi" …, "where are you staying?" He said to them, "Come and see."
·        Jesus says “Come and see” when he is asked by two of John’s disciples where he is staying. Most of us would expect to get a factual and even geographic answer to that question, like “I’m staying with Solomon’s family down the road” or “I’m at the third house on the left.” Instead they receive an invitation to “Come and see” for themselves. There is no information given and no threat added (“Find me or else!”) It’s a simple invitation to the two and they take Jesus up on it.
·        We don’t know where they went or what exactly went on, although the Evangelist tells us They came and saw where he was staying, and they remained with him that day.
·        Jesus doesn’t invite them so much to a place as to a relationship. He is the place and being with him is more important than a location on a map. From that, his followers invite others to come and join them – such as when Andrew finds his brother, Simon Peter: He first found his brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which is translated Anointed ). He brought Simon to Jesus… When Simon comes to see Jesus for himself, Jesus immediately strikes up a relationship with him and in that relationship, changes the man’s name to “Peter.” Many relationships can cause such a change and we could say that Peter was the better for it.
·        We might say that things don’t work that way for us today. We might say that we don’t receive a personal invitation from Jesus to see where he lives. We could say that we do not hear the words, “Come and see” any longer.
·        Still our faith tells us the invitation is there. Our baptism assures us of that. Every time we hear the word in the worship service or in our own reading of the Scriptures, the invitation is there.
·        We are invited to Come and see as Andrew and the other man who followed Jesus that day by the Jordan. We are invited to come and see no matter what our state in life might be. The invitation is to come and see and remain with him in whatever we are doing. We might even say “ready or not.”
·        That invitation might be to discipleship in a life of work for the betterment of our family. Or it might be to discipleship in teaching others about Jesus and faith… within the family or within the community of faith. It might be to serve as a witness to the presence of Jesus in the world as we know it to be, with all its faults and failings (and our own faults and failings.) It maybe to serve others as Jesus’ disciple in so many possible ways.
·        Now all that could be frightening. I think we all know that. We can be unsure of ourselves and unsure of just what we’re being called to. That would be natural.
·        There is, however, one thought that is comforting in all this. When Jesus says Come and see, he is saying “come with me and see.” He is calling to join him in where he is – where he is staying – and in where he is going.
·        Where could we go that God could not be found there? Is there such a place – in the world or in our own selves?
·        The Psalms tell us this:
Where can I go from your spirit?
    Or where can I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there;
    if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there.
If I take the wings of the morning
    and settle at the farthest limits of the sea,
even there your hand shall lead me,
    and your right hand shall hold me fast.
(Psalm 139:7-10)
·        Where ever we might go, the presence of God and the grace of Jesus Christ are there waiting for us. Even in whatever fear we might experience in such a new or strange situation (or possibly even in a comfortable situation), we are assured that Jesus has accompanied us there and is actually there before us, letting us see and ‘uncover’ his presence there, as if he were saying “come and see where I am already before you.” Even John the Baptizer says, "After me comes a man who ranks ahead of me because he was before me.”
·        Even if we face our own suffering and even our own death, Jesus has already been there. That’s what resurrection is all about for us.
·        This year, we will be hearing from Matthew’s Gospel for the readings during the Service. It is worth remembering the final words of Jesus in Matthew’s Gospel, which are in fact the last words of the Gospel. In the 28th chapter, Jesus says And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.   (Matthew 28:20)
Come and see… and remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.

No comments:

Post a Comment