Tuesday 2 June 2020

A Moment Aside ---- 2 June 2020


When I leave my house these days, I wear a mask. It's not a Halloween mask or a mask to hide my face in criminal acts. Nor is it a mask to hide what I feel, the sort of mask we all wear to get along with each other. And again it isn't a mask to show who I pretend to be. It's more or less a surgical mask. My wife made one I use and a friend gave me a second one because it was too big for her face. I'm not afraid that someone will breathe on me and pass some disease on; the mask won't stop that from happening. What it does is protect others from what I might have. The Ministry of Heath of the nation of Slovakia has a motto:
"Your mask protects me. My mask protects you."
We may be wearing such masks for a long time. We may be washing our hand more often and using some oddly-scented hand sanitizer for some time. Why? Out of fear? Yes, but mostly out of fear for our loved ones, friends, and neighbors.
For some reason, all this reminded me of the story of Naaman the Syrian, a great general who suffered from leprosy, and his encounter with Elisha the prophet: (2 Kings 5:9b-14)
     "So Naaman came with his horses and chariots, and halted at the entrance of Elisha’s house. Elisha sent a messenger to him, saying, “Go, wash in the Jordan seven times, and your flesh shall be restored and you shall be clean.” But Naaman became angry and went away, saying, “I thought that for me he would surely come out, and stand and call on the name of the Lord his God, and would wave his hand over the spot, and cure the leprosy! Are not Abana and Pharpar, the rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? Could I not wash in them, and be clean?” He turned and went away in a rage. But his servants approached and said to him, “Father, if the prophet had commanded you to do something difficult, would you not have done it? How much more, when all he said to you was, ‘Wash, and be clean’?” So he went down and immersed himself seven times in the Jordan, according to the word of the man of God; his flesh was restored like the flesh of a young boy, and he was clean."
Such a simple thing... "Wash and be clean." I wish it were that easy to cure everyone of the COVID-19 virus, but it isn't. Yet the wearing of a mask, the hand washing, and the sanitizing will make a difference. The medical authorities says so. Is it so much to ask?
-------------------
Another topic: When will the churches be opened again?
Each province is setting guidelines for holding public worship again. Ontario does not appear to be quite ready to issue such a complete outline. Alberta has a rather liberal outline while New Brunswick has very strict guidelines, including forbidding people over 60 years of age to attend. If that is the case, this pastor could not lead services since he himself is 65! Even Alberta's guideline includes things like one-door-in, one-door-out, no singing (that spreads droplets faster and further), sanitizing the entire building and its contents after each service, and social distancing in the church building.
St. John's council and pastor are anxious to hold services again but not at the cost of endangering the lives and health of member of the congregation. We are also waiting for the leadership and advice of our bishop. The pastors of the Synod have been meeting with Bishop Michael monthly through on-line meeting programs. We are keeping in close touch with each other and we will not to anything rash. That would not be the loving, Christ-like thing to do. 
You will be kept up-to-date each step of the way.
Pr. John
...If the prophet had commanded you to do something difficult, would you not have done it?
How much more, when all he said to you was,
‘Wash, and be clean’?”

1 comment: