Tuesday 21 July 2020

A Moment Aside ---- 21 July 2020


A Moment Aside ----- 21 July 2020

     I know that this photo looks as if someone dropped the sign. The words on the upper board are all wiggly and squiggly, all messed up and incomprehensible. The second sign might be even odder to us. It has God responding with “I know. I love you.
     This is the truest understanding of prayer I may have ever seen. We often don’t know what we want when we pray or we may not really understand what we’re praying for. We may think it’s for our best and we could be all wrong. We can sometimes pray for things that are bad for us or for those we care for. We can pray in a spirit of ignorance, of arrogance, of vain-glory, or of even selfishness. We could spend a lot of time “crafting” our prayers so they sound good in our own ears or tickle the ears of people who might hear or read them. We could be jealous of “spiritual writers” who say such wonderful and inspiring things. Truly none of that really matters unless we pray from our own hearts, even as confused and mixed up as the letters in the first board.
     We do not pray alone. Paul the Apostle assures us in his letter to the Romans that Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words. (Romans 8:26) Our words may not be our own for we can borrow words from the Scripture or from books of prayers. There may not be any words at all! The Spirit of God dwells in each of us and leads us to prayer and leads us in prayer. Even if we have no words, this would be enough.
     I’ve told the tail of a Christian teacher who taught me the best way to pray. I asked “How do I pray?” He responded “Want to.” I’ll remember that lesson as long as I live.
     A woman of our congregation (who has since passed on) told the story of the man riding his wagon through the woods on a dark night. In his fear, all he could remember was the alphabet. He prayed “Lord, you know me and you know the alphabet. Just take my letters and make a prayer here and now! Amen!”
     Who could do better?

No comments:

Post a Comment