Sunday 30 August 2020

From a Service of Word & Prayer ---- 30 August 2020

 

Jeremiah 15:15-21

15 O Lord, you know; remember me and visit me, and bring down retribution for me on my persecutors. In your forbearance do not take me away; know that on your account I suffer insult. 16 Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart; for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts. 17 I did not sit in the company of merrymakers, nor did I rejoice; under the weight of your hand I sat alone, for you had filled me with indignation. 18 Why is my pain unceasing, my wound incurable, refusing to be healed? Truly, you are to me like a deceitful brook, like waters that fail. 19 Therefore thus says the Lord: If you turn back, I will take you back, and you shall stand before me. If you utter what is precious, and not what is worthless, you shall serve as my mouth. It is they who will turn to you, not you who will turn to them. 20 And I will make you to this people a fortified wall of bronze; they will fight against you, but they shall not prevail over you, for I am with you to save you and deliver you, says the Lord. 21 I will deliver you out of the hand of the wicked, and redeem you from the grasp of the ruthless.

Romans 12:9-21

9 Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good; 10 love one another with mutual affection; outdo one another in showing honor. 11 Do not lag in zeal, be ardent in spirit, serve the Lord. 12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer. 13 Contribute to the needs of the saints; extend hospitality to strangers. 14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 16 Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly; do not claim to be wiser than you are. 17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. 18 If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. 19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave room for the wrath of God; for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord." 20 No, "if your enemies are hungry, feed them; if they are thirsty, give them something to drink; for by doing this you will heap burning coals on their heads." 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Matthew 16:21-28

21 From that time on, Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and undergo great suffering at the hands of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised. 22 And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, saying, "God forbid it, Lord! This must never happen to you." 23 But he turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; for you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things." 24 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit them if they gain the whole world but forfeit their life? Or what will they give in return for their life? 27 "For the Son of Man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay everyone for what has been done. 28 Truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

O Father, light up the small duties of this day’s life:

May they shine with the beauty of your countenance

May we believe that glory can dwell in the commonest task of every day.     

(St. Augustine, 354-430)


 

Then Jesus told his disciples, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.

·        Peter’s quick comments gets him in trouble again. He says “This should never happen to you!” and Jesus responds with a quick “Get behind me, Satan!” I don’t think any of us would like to hear those words addressed to us. They sound like a condemnation followed by a dismissal.

·        There is more to it than that. Jesus says “Get behind me” and not “Go away!” There is a difference, believe it or not. He did not tell Peter to go away; he reminded him of something very important, something Peter had acknowledged a short time before: “You are the Messiah, the Son of God!” He reminded Peter that Peter was his disciple as well as his friend.

·        The proper place of a disciple is that of a follower. Jesus, using some serious language, reminds Peter that his real place is the place of disciple, a follower… behind Jesus. Peter probably did not realize the cost of Jesus’ own ministry or of his own discipleship. He was being reminded of the role of a disciple by his teacher. We might find the wording rather strange, to hear Peter called “Satan.” Maybe it was said in anger or in momentary exasperation. Whatever the case, Jesus is saying what he said before: “Follow me!”

·        Peter objected to the talk of suffering and of the eventual execution of Jesus on a cross. Many people object to such talk today, saying it is a sign of an old-fashioned faith that preached suffering and pain. I think we’d all like to have a discipleship that costs us little, pains us little, inconveniences us only a little. That might be pleasant and more to our liking, but that is definitely not the following of the Crucified One, for his path leads to Calvary and to the Cross. That is inescapable.

·        Jesus is not calling us to follow him anywhere he himself was not willing to go. We are invited and called to follow him where he leads… and that will take us to the cross. What that would mean to each of us might vary. It does mean something more than bearing small pains, itching mosquito bites, and other minor annoyances with some kind of patience… as “my cross to bear.” It might not require our lives or our fortunes (such as they are), or our honour. It will however require much of each of us.

·        To follow Jesus to the Cross (and beyond) means to change our attitudes and our way of thinking. We can’t think as if nothing matters but our own will and our own comfort. The requirement of love of God and love of neighbor and the real presence of the Kingdom of God in our lives will cost us something and it may cost us plenty. Who knows what that will be? I can’t even speak of that for myself.

·        The meaning and the power of the Cross of Christ is one thing we must carry for our whole lives. At its base, it means that salvation comes through the Cross and grace… not by our own power, deeds, personal holiness, or morality and righteousness. The cross means that what Jesus has done for us is pure, undeserved gift… and that might be harder to embrace or “carry” than any personal pain, annoyance, or whatever we call the crosses we believe we are carrying.

·        It is important to remember that in taking up our cross, Jesus promised to be with us always, even to the end of the age as the end of Matthew’s Gospel tells us. That promise is fully in force here because Jesus has been where he is leading us and where he has led his disciples through-out history. It may be that the cross carries us in all we do for the sake of the Kingdom and in the strength of God’s grace.

Then Jesus told his disciples, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.

No comments:

Post a Comment