Thursday 2 September 2021

A Moment Aside for 2 September 2021

 A Moment Aside --- 2 September 2021

 


Do we think of the life of God with us as a fire within us? I think most of us would prefer a peaceful quietness to a blazing fire. Jeremiah did when he wrote this:

If I say, “I will not mention him, or speak any more in his name,”
      then within me there is something like a burning fire

     shut up in my bones;
      I am weary with holding it in, and I cannot.
(Jeremiah 20:9)

He is speaking of his prophetic calling, something we may or may not have ourselves. What we do all share as disciples is the life of God burning within us, enlightening our way, and casting light around us. As fire does all these things, so God’s grace permits us and calls us to that same thing.

The fire of God’s own life burns within us and cleanses us continually, separating the valuable from the dross, like the fire of a furnace purifies precious metal.

This fire of God’s own life burns like a torch, enlightening our steps and often throwing light in those places we’d rather were left in darkness. Again that fire cleanses and allows the wounds to heal.

That fire of God’s own life also sheds light around us so that others might see God’s life within us, not for our glory but for God’s glory.

This fire is the very breath of God, so I hope we can all breathe deep of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment