Sunday 28 February 2016

The Fourth Sunday in Lent ---- 28 February 2016

Luke 13:1-9
1 At that very time there were some present who told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. 2 He asked them, "Do you think that because these Galileans suffered in this way they were worse sinners than all other Galileans? 3 No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish as they did. 4 Or those eighteen who were killed when the tower of Siloam fell on them—do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others living in Jerusalem?No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish just as they did." 6 Then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came looking for fruit on it and found none. 7 So he said to the gardener, "See here! For three years I have come looking for fruit on this fig tree, and still I find none. Cut it down! Why should it be wasting the soil?' 8 He replied, "Sir, let it alone for one more year, until I dig around it and put manure on it. 9 If it bears fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down.' "


but unless you repent, you will all perish just as they did.
·        Who here has seen their own face?
·        Not a photo or a mirror’s reflection, but your own face. It sounds silly, but it really can’t be done. We know what we look like but we’ve never seen our own faces with our own eyes. We’ve seen photos and reflections in a mirror, but those aren’t our own faces.
·        As it is with so many things in human life, it is usually easier to see another’s sins than to see our own. Other people’s sins may be glaring errors, annoying faults, or down-right crimes. But our sins are peccadillos or less-than-perfect character traits or things to be ignored. I don’t know of any person who really, really enjoys having their sins pointed out to them. It’s a hard lesson and a tough row to hoe. Yet we are reminded of our faults and failings at almost every turn. In fact, we remind ourselves of that almost every time we begin our worship in this space. To look into that mirror can be depressing.
·        What sin leads to is also a concern. In Luke, Jesus takes on the people’s idea that those who were massacred by Pilate or the people killed in the accident where a tower collapsed. The prevailing wisdom held that those people were sinners specifically punished by death in those events. Jesus tells his listeners that sin and death are not cause and effect. You can’t say that this sin caused the suffering of a person in some event or that punishment followed the crime. This idea was quite current in Jesus’ time and can be found in the book of Deuteronomy in the Hebrew Bible. Among other things, this book tied suffering and death to specific instances of sin and sinfulness. The really odd thing that comes from this is the fact that the Book of Job asks why the innocent suffer all through-out the book. Jesus’ understanding of human life is in line with this.
·        He then goes on to say but unless you repent, you will all perish just as they did. Those deaths were independent of any sinfulness of those who suffered, and unless his hearers repent, death without repentance will surely come.
·        What Jesus is telling his listeners is that life is uncertain and although there always appears to be time to repent and change our ways, there is no guarantee of that. Jesus uses well-known current events as examples. Those Galileans whom Pilate put to death were not the worst sinners and they suddenly died none-the-less, very possibly without any warning. Pilate was known for his cruelty and that cruelty was probably unpredictable.
·        In the same way, the people killed when the tower of Siloam collapsed were neither the worst of sinners nor were they able to know of the coming fall of the tower. As with most disasters, they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, not because their sins drove them there, but because they happened to be at the tower when it collapsed.
·        What Jesus is saying is this: the time of salvation is now. The time for repentance is right now. You can put it off, but you don’t know what tomorrow or even this afternoon will bring. He says don’t wait and put your life and spirit in jeopardy.
·        We are in the same boat today. We live our lives often without a care or a thought for our spirit and how we stand before God. We forget (or at least I forget) that the judgement of God is certain. We might forget that the life we live is given to us by grace and is sustained by grace. It is grace that leads for both repentance and forgiveness.
·        This is a very “Lutheran” concept. The first of the 95 Theses is this: When our Lord and Master Jesus Christ said, “Repent'' (Mt 4:17), he willed the entire life of believers to be one of repentance. Repentance is not something reserved for pastors or for members of other churches; it is meant for all of us.
·        In the same way, forgiveness is meant for all of us.
·         A few years ago, a member of the congregation I served asked me a question. This question troubled me and a much as I’ve thought about it and considered it over the years, it still troubles me. This congregation member asked me this: “Why do we do the confession every week? None of us really sin, do we?” I have theological answers to that, but speaking as a pastor, I still don’t know just what to say to that question. I can only respond as I know myself to be.
·        Personally, I don’t need to hear that I’ve sinned. My own conscience keeps me quite aware of that. Of course, I often ignore sins I’m unaware of or would like to avoid. Often my own sinfulness is not pointed out to me until something I do or something I read helps me to see it. It is easy for me to fall into the trap of seeing only sin and hearing that interior voice that condemns me. What I DO need to hear is a voice outside of me telling me that God forgives me. That’s why I rejoice in the confession.
·        What it comes down to is this: The time to repent is always NOW. It is always now since the future is uncertain. The fragile nature of our lives lends a sense of urgency to the call to repent. The Good News is that God understands and when God calls us to repentance, it is not to heap on condemnations, but to welcome us back to the surprising love of God that we might have forgotten. Remember the words of Isaiah:

Seek the Lord while he may be found, call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake their way, and the unrighteous their thoughts; let them return to the Lord, that he may have mercy on them, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.  For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment