Sunday 13 May 2018

The Seventh Sunday of Easter ----- 13 May 2018


John 17:6-19
 (Jesus prayed)   ‘I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything you have given me is from you; for the words that you gave to me I have given to them, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am asking on their behalf; I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those whom you gave me, because they are yours. All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them. And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them in your name that*you have given me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost except the one destined to be lost,* so that the scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves. I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one. They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth.



I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one. They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world.
·       Back when I was in the seminary, back when the earth was young, one of our professors, Sr. Jean Marie, confronted a student on something he said. In answer to a question in a class, he began “When I was in the world…” using an old-style phrase that implied that he was no longer subject to the temptations and obligations that go along with living a human life on Planet Earth. Sr. Jean looked at him strangely and asked “So where do you think you are now?”
·       To some Christians, the “World” is a shorthand term for all that might be considered evil. It includes war, oppression, robbery, prejudice, famine, hatred, and any number of other negative things. The world is “bad” and it and the body are things to be mastered and eventually left behind in an escape to a pure spiritual existence. Now not all Christians think this way but there are some that do.
·       In this same vein, the world is sometimes perceived as something to be avoided since it is thoroughly corrupt and it’s influence can be a corrupting one.
·       What is easily forgotten in all this talk of a corrupt and sinful world is the simple statement from the Gospel of John, a quote that some call the ‘Gospel in Miniature’ For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. (John 3:16-17)
·       If the Creator – who created everything AND found it to be “good” – set up the entirety of creation as a test for the faithful or as a trap for the weak, why would the Son be sent into the world to save it? Something there would not be right. Something there would not make sense from a biblical point of view.
·       Now, there is no sense to kidding ourselves about the nature of the world’s reality; there are problems, even with the natural world. There are floods in New Brunswick. There is a volcano erupting in Hawaii. Weather changes in Madagascar have caused the price of vanilla to sky-rocket, making vanilla ice cream unavailable in some places. All is not right with the world. Creation is broken in any number of ways.
·       And God loves it still.
·       In this discourse that takes place during the Last Supper, before Jesus is arrested and crucified, Jesus asks the Father to protect the disciples while they remain in the world. He does not ask that they be taken out of the world. Still he emphasizes that they are not to “belong” to the world either. They – we – live in the world almost as if we were some sort of aliens; part of what is going on but not absorbed into it.
·       In so many ways, it is a matter of values. No matter where Jesus’ disciples live, no matter what they do for a livelihood, they – we – are called to live out the values of the Gospel in all things. As strange as it might sound, we are to let the Good News of Jesus Christ touch each and every thing we do, what we say, how we treat people, and even – what might be the hardest thing – how we treat ourselves.
·       We have all heard of the the three great temptations: the world, the flesh, and the devil. Well, temptation they may be. Still, God so loved the world that he sent his only Son and that Son, the Word, became flesh and lived among us. As for the devil, no power can match the power of God. While we live this life, we will have to content with these temptations. And while we live we are sent into the world to continue the mission of Jesus. We are sent by Jesus as Jesus was sent. We are to tell the people of the world of the love God has for them and for all that God has created.
·       A tough mission, without a doubt. And next week is Pentecost; that’s when we’ll talk about how this mission is to be fulfilled.
I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one. They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment