Thursday 1 July 2021

A Moment Aside for 1 July 2021 --- Canada Day

 A Moment Aside --- 1 July 2021

 

 

The horrifying news we’ve all faced regarding the unmarked, unreported graves of indigenous children consigned to the residential school system has left many without any notion of celebrating Canada’s national day. I fully understand that.

I also know that I had nothing to do with that. My family and I are immigrants, although we did not come to Canada to escape persecution or hunger (as my own ancestors did when they left Ireland in the midst of “the Great Hunger.”) However if I live here, I must shoulder some of the responsibility for what has happened… because although I did nothing to cause it, I also did nothing to stop it.  

On this national day of ours, we must look ourselves in the eye and realize all of who we are. The next real step is not talk and guilt and hand-wringing. The next real step is listening to the stories of the survivors and their children, then reflecting on those stories which are just as much Canada’s Story as Passchendaele and Juno Beach, even if we’d rather they weren’t.

What comes next? Maybe to listen more, to recognize what is, to resolve to do better, and see to it that this sort of abomination never happens again.

Believe it or not, this is a turning point and a moment of grace for us all. Grace means change and growth, and change and growth almost always hurts. Grace, however, will not leave us where it found us.

Are we willing to let grace grasp us?

No comments:

Post a Comment