Sunday 30 January 2022

The Text of the Service for 30 January 2022 --- The 4th Sunday after Epiphany

 



The Fourth Sunday after Epiphany

Prelude, Welcome, and Information

Hymn #715  Christ, Be Our Light

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

And also with you.

Psalm: Psalm 71

In you, O Lord, I take refuge;

let me never be put to shame.

In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me;

incline your ear to me and save me.

Be to me a rock of refuge, a strong fortress, to save me,

for you are my rock and my fortress.

Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked,

from the grasp of the unjust and cruel.

For you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust,

O Lord, from my youth.

Upon you I have leaned from my birth;

it was you who took me from my mother’s womb.

My praise is continually of you.

 

The Lord be with you.       And also with you.

Let us pray.

Almighty and ever-living God, increase in us the gifts of faith, hope, and love; and that we may obtain what you promise, make us love what you command, through your Son, Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord.  Amen.

Reading: Jeremiah 1:4-10

A reading from the prophet Jeremiah

Now the word of the Lord came to me saying, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” Then I said, “Ah, Lord God! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy.” But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a boy’; for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and you shall speak whatever I command you, Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, says the Lord.” Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth; and the Lord said to me, “Now I have put my words in your mouth. See, today I appoint you over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to pull down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant.”

The Word of the Lord

Reading: 1 Corinthians 13:1-13

A reading from the first letter to the Corinthians

If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will come to an end; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will come to an end. For we know only in part, and we prophesy only in part; but when the complete comes, the partial will come to an end. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love.

The Word of the Lord.

Gospel Verse: 

Alleluia. You shall go to all to whom I send you. Do not be afraid, for I am with you. Alleluia! (Jer. 1:7,8)                                

Gospel Reading:  Luke 4:21-30

A reading from the Gospel of Luke

Then (Jesus) began to say to them, “Today this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.” All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his mouth. They said, “Is not this Joseph’s son?” He said to them, “Doubtless you will quote to me this proverb, ‘Doctor, cure yourself!’ And you will say, ‘Do here also in your hometown the things that we have heard you did at Capernaum.’” And he said, “Truly I tell you, no prophet is accepted in the prophet’s hometown. But the truth is, there were many widows in Israel in the time of Elijah, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, and there was a severe famine over all the land; yet Elijah was sent to none of them except to a widow at Zarephath in Sidon. There were also many lepers in Israel in the time of the prophet Elisha, and none of them was cleansed except Naaman the Syrian.” When they heard this, all in the synagogue were filled with rage. They got up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town was built, so that they might hurl him off the cliff. But he passed through the midst of them and went on his way.

This is the Gospel of the Lord.   Praise to you, O Christ.

Sermon (added at the end of the document)

Hymn #836  Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee

Thanks and Offertory

Prayers of the Church:  

Relying on the grace of God for all things and in all things, we offer our prayers for the world, the church, and for all people according to their needs.

[Short pause]

Gracious God, Lead us through anger and unbelief when the Gospel message confronts us and our preconceptions. Lord, in your mercy,   Hear our prayer.

Gracious God, watch over our families, loved ones and friends, and keep them well and healthy. Let your presence be known in all things.  Lord, in your mercy,   Hear our prayer.

Gracious God, bless with the gift of health all who suffer around us from any physical, mental, or spiritual problems. Strengthen those who make their health and care their daily work. Lord, in your mercy,   Hear our prayer.

Gracious God, watch over all our sister congregations in Aylmer. Give their pastors the gifts needed to continually proclaim the good news. Lord, in your mercy, Hear our prayer.

Gracious God, grant peace to Ukraine and all the troubled spots in our world. Lord, in your mercy,   Hear our prayer.

Gracious God, grant safe travels to all who must be away from home. Remember especially those who farm and who plow snow. Lord, in your mercy,   Hear our prayer.

Gracious God, look with favor on all who minister in the name of your Son. Bless Bishop Susan Johnson and the National ELCIC Office & Support staff Lord, in your mercy,   Hear our prayer.

Gracious God, we trust in your grace and mercy. Hear the prayers we keep in our hearts… * … Lord, in your mercy,   Hear our prayer.

Into your gracious hands we commend all for whom we pray, trusting in your promise of mercy; through Jesus Christ our Lord.     Amen.

{*Erma Reska, Rose Gotzmeister, Gail Mauer, Bill Ungar}

Hymn#520  Dearest Jesus, at Your Word

The Lord’s Prayer

Finally let us pray for all things as our Lord would have us ask:

Our Father, who art in heaven,

    hallowed be thy name,

    thy kingdom come,

    thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread;

    and forgive us our trespasses,

      as we forgive those who trespass against us;

    and lead us not into temptation,

       but deliver us from evil.

For thine is the kingdom, and the power,

         and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.

Closing prayer & Benediction

Radiant God, with our eyes we have seen your salvation and heard with our ears your Word of life. May that Word take flesh in us, that we may be your holy people, revealing your glory made known to us in Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord.   Amen.

Hymn #359  Where Charity and Love Prevail

Sending

May your holy presence,

Father +, Son, and the Holy Spirit

keep us, guide us, and bless us as we continue our journey with each other and with you. Amen.

God is our refuge and strength.     Amen.

Christ is light for our lives.            Amen.

The Spirit of Love is leading us.    Amen.

Go in peace. Walk humbly with God.   Thanks be to God.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Services for the next few months will be on YouTube and accessible from an email link or our church Facebook page, except for the following:

 Feb 13            Saxonia Hall, 11:00am

Feb 27                        Church

March 13       Saxonia Hall, 11:00am – followed by the Annual General Meeting

March 27       Church, 11:00am

April 10          Saxonia Hall (Palm Sunday), 11:00am

April 15          Church (Good Friday), 11:00am

April 17          Church (Easter Sunday), 11:00am

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love.

·         This passage from the first letter to the Corinthians is well known and often heard. I can’t tell you how often this is read at weddings… which is really odd since the passage has nothing to do with marriage in particular! Yes, married couples should love one another at all times and they should be examples of love in the world. Yet we know the reality of things. Once I heard about a married couple who said something to the effect that their success as a couple was due to the fact that they each never hated the other at the same time.

·         Paul was addressing a church congregation torn by conflict. (See, it wasn’t just a problem for congregations in our time.) There were a number of controversies over marriage, morality, behavior during the service and, finally, the presence and use of “Spiritual gifts” like leadership, prophecy, and speaking in tongues. Using the analogy of body parts, that was the point of last week’s gospel reading. Paul made his point about every part being necessary to the body. Paul then goes on to say And I will show you a still more excellent way.

·         We all know what comes next in Paul’s talk about love as a collection of intentional actions. Paul is not talking about platonic, romantic, or carnal love, but another sort of love altogether. He is talking about the love that is a gift of the Holy Spirit, a gift that is available to all believers and a gift that out-ranks (if I can dare to use that term) all of the other spiritual gifts. After all, he says But as for prophecies, they will come to an end… And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love. With this in mind, the controversy over “gifts” is minimized and possibly laid to rest.

·         If we can take a cue from the first letter of John, namely Beloved, let us love one another, because love is from God; Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love. (1 John 4:7, 8) Maybe we should turn this whole thing around and look at Paul’s letter as a revelation of the nature of God in Christ.

·         Why don’t we exchange the word “love” for “God” in some of Paul’s writing today. Then we get this:

(God) is patient; (God) is kind; (God) is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. (God) does not insist on (God’s) own way; (God) is not irritable or resentful; (God) does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. (God) bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

·         This gives us an interesting view of God in Paul’s letter, doesn’t it? This view of things also weaves Paul and John together in a way I for one never expected. We can be certain that it is the love of God, the love that is God, is the source of our salvation and life.

·         The spiritual gifts that Paul speaks of are great and they up-build the church in many ways. It is love, however, that builds and maintains God’s church here and now. The love we are called to is a reflection and an imitation of the love given to us by God. God remains the active party here and the love we know flows from God. It is grace that saves and we can take grace to essentially mean the love of God. In the end, it is the one thing that “abides” for faith ends with knowing and hope ends with fulfillment, but love continues and is the basis of everything that exists.

·         This is most certainly true.

And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment