Tuesday 12 April 2022

The Readings and Sermon for Palm Sunday

 {Better late than never}



First Reading:  Isaiah 50:4-9a

A reading from the prophet Isaiah

The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens— wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught. The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backward. I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting. The Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame; he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me. It is the Lord God who helps me; who will declare me guilty? All of them will wear out like a garment; the moth will eat them up.

      The Word of the Lord

 

Responsorial Psalm:  Psalm 31: 9-16

Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am in distress;

my eye wastes away from grief, my soul and body also.

  For my life is spent with sorrow, and my years with sighing;

  my strength fails because of my misery, and my bones waste away.

I am the scorn of all my adversaries, a horror to my neighbors,

an object of dread to my acquaintances;

those who see me in the street flee from me.

  I have passed out of mind like one who is dead;

  I have become like a broken vessel.

For I hear the whispering of many— terror all around!—

as they scheme together against me,

as they plot to take my life.

  But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, “You are my God.”

  My times are in your hand; deliver me

  from the hand of my enemies and persecutors.

Let your face shine upon your servant; save me in your steadfast love.

Second Reading: Philippians 2:5-11

A reading from Paul’s letter to the Philippians

Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death— even death on a cross. Therefore God also highly exalted him and gave him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

       The Word of the Lord.

 

Gospel:  Luke 23: 13-49

Pilate then called together the chief priests, the leaders, and the people, and said to them, “You brought me this man as one who was perverting the people; and here I have examined him in your presence and have not found this man guilty of any of your charges against him. Neither has Herod, for he sent him back to us. Indeed, he has done nothing to deserve death. I will therefore have him flogged and release him.”

Then they all shouted out together, “Away with this fellow! Release Barabbas for us!” (This was a man who had been put in prison for an insurrection that had taken place in the city, and for murder.) Pilate, wanting to release Jesus, addressed them again; but they kept shouting, “Crucify, crucify him!” A third time he said to them, “Why, what evil has he done? I have found in him no ground for the sentence of death; I will therefore have him flogged and then release him.” But they kept urgently demanding with loud shouts that he should be crucified; and their voices prevailed.  So Pilate gave his verdict that their demand should be granted. He released the man they asked for, the one who had been put in prison for insurrection and murder, and he handed Jesus over as they wished.

As they led him away, they seized a man, Simon of Cyrene, who was coming from the country, and they laid the cross on him, and made him carry it behind Jesus. A great number of the people followed him, and among them were women who were beating their breasts and wailing for him. But Jesus turned to them and said, “Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and for your children. For the days are surely coming when they will say, ‘Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bore, and the breasts that never nursed.’ Then they will begin to say to the mountains, ‘Fall on us’; and to the hills, ‘Cover us.’ For if they do this when the wood is green, what will happen when it is dry?”

Two others also, who were criminals, were led away to be put to death with him. When they came to the place that is called The Skull, they crucified Jesus there with the criminals, one on his right and one on his left.  Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.” And they cast lots to divide his clothing. And the people stood by, watching; but the leaders scoffed at him, saying, “He saved others; let him save himself if he is the Messiah of God, his chosen one!” The soldiers also mocked him, coming up and offering him sour wine, and saying, “If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!” There was also an inscription over him, “This is the King of the Jews.”

One of the criminals who were hanged there kept deriding him and saying, “Are you not the Messiah? Save yourself and us!” But the other rebuked him, saying, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed have been condemned justly, for we are getting what we deserve for our deeds, but this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” He replied, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise.”

It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon, while the sun’s light failed; and the curtain of the temple was torn in two. Then Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.” Having said this, he breathed his last. When the centurion saw what had taken place, he praised God and said, “Certainly this man was innocent.” And when all the crowds who had gathered there for this spectacle saw what had taken place, they returned home, beating their breasts. But all his acquaintances, including the women who had followed him from Galilee, stood at a distance, watching these things.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The Prayers of the Church

The mercy of God is everlasting. With that in mind, we offer our prayers for the world, the church, and for all people according to their needs.

[Short pause]

Saving God, as we hear again of the passion and sufferings of your Son, lerp us to be ever mindful of your care and grace. Lord, in your mercy,   Hear our prayer.

Saving God, help us all follow the example of Christ, who came to the world in humility and self-sacrifice. Lord, in your mercy,   Hear our prayer.

Saving God, grant your mercy to all in need in our neighborhood – the sick, the lost, the forgotten, and those without hope. Lord, in your mercy,   Hear our prayer.

Saving God, Be with all those who remain vulnerable to the pandemic and with those who work to relieve their sufferings. Lord, in your mercy, Hear our prayer.

Saving God, grant peace to the peoples of both Ukraine and Russia and to the people of Iraq. Grant wisdom to their leaders as well as a true desire for peace and reconciliation. Lord, in your mercy,   Hear our prayer.

Saving God, watch over teachers and students and all who work in education. Let their time together be safe and productive for their future. Lord, in your mercy,  Hear our prayer.

Saving God, look with favor on all who minister in the name of your Son. Bless the congregation of Trinity, Windsor and their interim pastor, Pastor Jack Dressler. Lord, in your mercy,   Hear our prayer.

Saving God, all life, health, and blessing comes from you. Hear the prayers we keep in our hearts… * … Lord, in your mercy,   Hear our prayer.

{*Rose Gotzmeister, Gail Mauer, Bill Ungar, Deb Kirschner, Pr. Bob Zimmerman}

Saving God, we thank you for your mercy to our sister, Suzie Theiss, newly called to you, and to her family in their grief. Lord, in your mercy,   Hear our prayer.

Into your hands, O Lord, we commend all for whom we pray, trusting in your mercy; through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.   Amen

-----------------------------------------------------------------

 Sermon

Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus

  • Every year we hear the “Passion” read either on Palm Sunday or on Good Friday. We know the details almost by heart. Personally I think we need to hear it and hear what it means every year.
  • Today’s reading from the letter to the Philippians is an example of theology. Paul takes the story of Jesus’ life and death – yes, and resurrection – and looks at what it means. He looks at what it means for our salvation and the understanding of our own life and death. He also looks at it for what it means for how we act and behave toward one another as sisters and brothers in Christ. It appears that the Philippians were having some trouble with that.
  • Paul looks behind the event and applies its meaning to both the proclamation of the Gospel of grace and to the situation of the church in that place.
  • Paul tells the people Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, saying the best thing for any Christian would be to empty themselves of personal ambitions and aggrandizement as Christ did. He gave up what he was and taking the form of a slave, becoming as we are, born in human form. This is done so we might serve one another and not so we might be doormats for every manipulative or selfish person. Dealing with that situation requires a very different type of servanthood.
  • There’s a theological term for the “emptying” but I’m not going to say it or go into it today. What I will say is that the Christian is to be empty but is not to remain empty!
  • We are to be filled with the grace of God, the grace that comes to us through Jesus’ own emptying, the emptying that led to his death on the cross. His emptying leads to our fullness and the fullness of grace leads us to eternal life.
  • That emptying took Jesus from death to resurrected life, a specific life and blessed name so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
  • When I was a small child, I was taught to bow my head slightly when I said or heard the name “Jesus.” I still do it now, although not always and not perfectly. But maybe, just maybe, I’m taking part in that confession of Jesus Christ as Lord.

…at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment