Sunday 3 May 2020

The Fourth Sunday of Easter ---- 3 May 2020



Psalm 23
1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters;
3 he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me;
your rod and your staff— they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long.
1 Peter 2:19-25
19 For it is a credit to you if, being aware of God, you endure pain while suffering unjustly. 20 If you endure when you are beaten for doing wrong, what credit is that? But if you endure when you do right and suffer for it, you have God's approval. 21 For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you should follow in his steps. 22 "He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth." 23 When he was abused, he did not return abuse; when he suffered, he did not threaten; but he entrusted himself to the one who judges justly. 24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross, so that, free from sins, we might live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. 25 For you were going astray like sheep, but now you have returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross, so that, free from sins, we might live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. For you were going astray like sheep, but now you have returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls.
·        I know that since it’s the Easter season, I should be focusing on the Resurrection and not the Cross. This Sunday – Good Shepherd Sunday- almost requires me to speak about shepherds and sheep. I’ve done that in the past, but to be honest, I’m not seeing my way clear for this this week.
·        Instead I’m looking at the first letter of Peter and the idea that Jesus’ wounds have healed us.
·        Healing and cure are not the same thing. A “cure” means that the illness or wound is gone and will not trouble us anymore. We can return to whatever we’ve been doing. Healing carries with it something more. Healing changes us and we CANNOT return to what we’d been doing. Healing is more universal and wider in scope. I believe that healing puts a changed us in a changed world. What we suffer from might not be ‘cured’, but even in our suffering, we can be healed and see things differently… and live differently.
·        The Cross and the Resurrection cannot be separated. Good Friday and Easter Sunday are intimately related and linked. To see one without the other leads to either despair or to a “cheap” grace. A false view of Good Friday might show us a God who has failed and who had given us false hope. A false view of Easter might show us a God who has either faked death or who has “left the building” and abandoned us. Some could even say that a false view of Easter leans on life without pain and a disciple’s life that requires no healing and no conversion.
·        Actually Easter’s joy come out of Good Friday’s terror. In John’s Gospel, Jesus’ last words on the Cross are “It is finished” and so in Peter’s words “by his wounds you have been healed.”
·        When those days are seen together (and remember that every Sunday is a little Easter), we can know that our Shepherd is still with us, that by his wounds we are still healed, and that even if we’ve gone “astray”, he calls us back to him and comforts and continually heals us. By his wounds we are free from sin and can live for righteousness. This is grace and the very life of God.
·        The author of the letter says For you were going astray like sheep, but now you have returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls. It’s possible that the community he was writing to had experienced persecution and had either surrendered to it or responded in a less than peaceful manner. (Peter does say to accept mistreatment and pain as Jesus did, which may indicate persecution of some type.) Someway or other, they were wounded and needed healing. In our own day, we might not put up with such things… and that makes no difference to the reading. Peter says the community has returned their healing shepherd.
·        No matter what, Jesus remains our shepherd, the one who gave his life for his flock and who continues to live for his flock - for us – sharing his life with us for our own lives and for the sake of his righteousness. It is that righteousness that we live for and live in. It is in his grace that we trust and hope, no matter what our situation happen to be. In that we are healed.
·        In the midst of this time lockdown for the health of the community, we remain sheep of Jesus’ flock, under his healing care and in his healing arms. As the psalm says:
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me;
your rod and your staff— they comfort me.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long.

No comments:

Post a Comment