Thursday 8 April 2021

A Moment Aside for 8 April 2021

 A Moment Aside --- 8 April 2021

Some might ask the question “Does prayer change God’s mind?” That’s a hard question to answer just as it is. The books of Exodus and of Job tell of God changing God’s mind about something or other. Moses appears to talk God into a few things as does Abraham in his own time. However, personally I don’t think that I’d be able to do such a thing.

What is true however is that prayer changes us. To pray permits us to grow and develop in both our relationship with God and our relationships with those around us. Consistent prayer can bring us into a really proper relationship with God. Intimacy with God does not lead to a “grab-bag” understanding of prayer but a desire to do God’s will. We might not get what we want (or what we think we want) but we might just receive what we need.

There is a prayer/teaching from the United States. It is supposed to be the prayer of a Confederate soldier in the American Civil War. I cannot vouch for the truthfulness of the source, but it makes sense in seeing how we can grow through prayer.

I asked God for strength, that I might achieve;
  I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health, that I might do greater things;
  I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.
I asked for riches, that I might be happy;
  I was given poverty, that I might be wise.
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men;
  I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life;
  I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I hoped for.
    Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
      I am among all men most richly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment