Thursday 17 June 2021

A Moment Aside for 17 June 2021

 A Moment Aside --- 17 June 2021

 


 

This brief prayer might look like a laundry list. However, as simple as it is, it is not just a list. It is a prayer in the Celtic manner of praying which often includes things that look like lists, like litanies, and like call-and-response prayers.

I use this as part of my night prayers at times. This sort of prayer can be used in a number of ways.

It can be used in a way of asking or “petition.” We can simply add “May God…” May God be…” as we pray. So we’d pray “May God enfold me… May God be in my speaking…” and continue that with each phrase.

I can be used in a way of thanksgiving or praise. Then we might say “God… enfolds me… God is in my speaking... God is in my heart.”

Other things could be added, but the main thing is the attitude with which we pray. We could pray in petition, asking for what we need. We could pray in thanksgiving, expressing gratitude for these things at the very least. We could also pray in a way of coming to understand that each of these phrases, whether said in asking or praising, reveals something about our relationship with God, who is with us in our speaking, thinking, sleeping, waking, hoping, and in every aspect of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment