Saturday 7 April 2012

St, John's at Easter

Here are a few photos of St. John's decorated for Easter.


The Chancel and "choir" area with flowers


The Baptismal font and Paschal Candle


We took the top off the font and placed the ewer in there. Tomorrow, I'll
fill it with water for the renewal of Baptismal vows.


Another view of  the font.


One of the Easter banners -  on the west wall.


A lily on the altar


A decorated lily on the chancel steps
 God bless you all this Easter! May you have peace and know the joy of the Resurrection of Jesus!
(Many thanks to my wife for the great pictures, to my daughter for her assistance in all this, and to Nancy M. for obtaining and setting up the lilies.)

2 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful, Pastor John. I wish I could be there.
    Question - I thought Lutherans didn't hold with flags in the sanctuary??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. It's been a good -if tiring- few days, but always worthwhile.
      As to the flags, you might be right and I think theologically, you are correct. It's just that every Lutheran congregation I've served or been a member of has had flags in the sanctuary. With St. John's, it might be a reflection of the membership doing all it can to be "Canadian." The congregation was founded by German-Canadians originally from Lithuania, who were later joined by immigrants from the German settlements in Lithuania and, soon after, by 'Siebenburgiche Sachen" (Transylvanian Saxons or Germans living in Transylvania, which -I'm sure you know- could be Romanian or Hungarian, depending on the winds. The flags may reflect this desire to be seen as Canadian. Until recently, people in Aylmer wondered if we had services in English. The Synod was somewhat shocked that the congregation extended a call to an Irishman/Cornishman like me. Since it's custom now in the parish, I don't mess with it.
      In any event, happy Easter to you.

      Delete